Wednesday, June 8, 2011

World Tour Stop: INDIA!!!

Are you bored of this series yet? Too bad if you are cause I am totally not. HA, I win! OK so next stop on the bucket tour is India. I am obviously totally inspired by far off lands. India produces some of the MOST beautiful textiles I have ever seen. Oh yeah, and the furniture and architecture ain't to shabby either. Although it's a very poor country filled with poverty and despair, I still would love to go run around the spice markets and eat a veggie korma and a peshwari naan. So because I know you all agree that India has to be on your bucket list too, let's share some little pretties shall we?


  1. that next to last pic.. with the lanterns glowing... there are no words! stunning. {ok maybe that was one word, but it's all that comes to mind.}

    blair @ scsd

  2. I think India would be such an experience...just so different. The colours and textures in this post are divine!

  3. Wow! All of these pictures are to die for!! Thanks for the beautiful post!

  4. I'm always blown away by the fearless use of color in India. I do hope I get to see it in person in my lifetime.

  5. someone who follows your blog and really loves it, I was excited the read the title of your post as I am an Indian..though your commentary left me quite disappointed..'filled with poverty and despair'...surely there are better ways of describing a country you want on your bucket-list...despite the 'poverty' Indians in general are considered to be a very happy, loving and hospitable lot... I know its your blog and its your prerogative to write what you like but it can't hurt to be considerate..xx meenal

  6. I think your picking apart the post and looking at the only possibly negative thing I said. I feel India is an amazing country, one I would love to visit, hence it being on my dream places to travel. The majority of India is impoverished. I said nothing about the Indian people's level of happiness or hospitality. I understand if you were offended but perhaps you should read the post again and make sure your opinion of how you think I came across is a valid one?

  7. india IS filled with poverty and despair!!! that is a fact.

  8. that came out a bit harsh i think..sorry about that, amber..lets put it down to the fact that it was 2 in the morning and those two terms just put me off and made me overlook the good is a visually appealing post.
    a word to MFAB- please try to conceal that arrogance.

  9. i've been in india (delhi) for just about 3 months now and if there's one thing i've learned it's that it's a land of contradictions....whatever you say or think - the exact opposite is true.. it's quite amazing that way :)

    this post is a visual treat for the eyes :)

    and i agree with you about the beautiful textiles - i'm very excited to be taking a workshop later in the summer!

  10. I am soooo "stealing" this post! Kill me if you have to. But beware, I will let ppl know that I took it from you!

  11. Amber I am from India and live in the Us and it is definitely not a country of despair, poverty maybe, but despair definitely not. The country is happy and an amazing place.

  12. I am Indian n I am accepting the fact that 41.6% of Indian population fall below the poverty line. We still cant say its land of poverty and despair. People should not judge other culture just be staying there for few months and weeks. This things implied to us as well.

  13. Excellent information and facts. Only real difficulty I was basically receiving was viewing the pics. No idea exactly why.

    1. Interior Design Seattle

    2. Minimalist Interior Design

    3. best interior design schools

  14. de·spair
    the complete loss or absence of hope.
    "driven to despair, he throws himself under a train"
    synonyms: hopelessness, disheartenment, discouragement, desperation, distress, anguish, unhappiness

    I understand that you were trying to paint a picture with your words. A picture that shows that you are not oblivious to the human condition and only admire the beauty of this culture. I can see your intention. a blogger, you have a certain responsibility to make sure that you are fully aware of what the words you are using mean if your intention isn't to offend an entire culture.
    India has a history that spans thousands of years of spirituality that leaves no room for despair. And if despair is experienced, they know what needs to be done to overcome it. So despair is rare.
    Poverty is an experience that is felt differently by everyone. The Indian people were not raised to value materialism like Americans were. So...yes...there is wide spread poverty there, it does not affect them as it does the western culture.
    Your pictures are lovely and I think the issue is, your words do not match the photos. Perhaps next time elaborate more on what you are trying to say? That might stop people from becoming offended.