Monday, June 27, 2011

DIY Senegalese Storage Baskets

I love these baskets, but with the hefty price tag of $150 bucks I wasn't about to spend that kinda moola on a thing I throw poop covered kid clothes into. So what does one do when they want to find a cheap alternative to something fab.....

First: head to Home Goods
&
Second: Spray Paint the shit outta it!

The Inspiration:

I found this basket at Home Goods a while ago and I liked the shape of it. It was $59.99 so I snagged it up!



I decided to go with just a simple zig zag pattern.
 I taped the shape out.



I then took a paint brush with a bit of white paint on it and dry brushed it on to make the zig zag shape.


removed the tape


Even though I liked the way this looked just in the natural neutral tones I wanted to punch it up a bit so I taped back over the painted zig zags and sprayed some "Berry Pink" Painters Touch over the entire thing.



I left my paint a bit blotchy so it looked more natural and antiqued..

and Walla!


I tried and although I Still like the real ones better...mine will have to do for now.


27 comments:

  1. You my lady are amazing- this is FABULOSITY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very inventive DIY!

    www.clotheshorsenyc.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like it! I think what you may not be loving is that in the original, the color of the basket is showing through the paint. Otherwise, I think they are identical. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is awesome!!! Way to make it happen!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love. I love it so much, I want you to do it again. But use a water based glazed, mixed with a kids craft paint mixture of red, white and brown. After you paint the white stripes (and tape over them), rag on or sponge on the watery mixture. Let it dry. I swear it will look amazing. Then do it in a washed out blue and let me know when I can come pick it up. xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks guys,Alexandra I may actually give your method a try!! Maybe I will tone down the pink. Good CALL!

    ReplyDelete
  7. "I left my paint a bit blotchy so it looked more natural and antiqued.." suuuuuuure ya did.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You crack me up! And your basket i FAB!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm loving the idea. Very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like it a lot! and I also spy a sit and spin!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, that turned out beautifully. Loving the colour choice.

    I'm never one to pick on someone's spelling but would want someone to tell me this one...when you say "walla" do you mean "voilĂ "?

    ReplyDelete
  12. *** You really knocked it out of the ball park here... UH HUH! YOU DID!!!...

    and I... LOVE... IT...!!! It looks FAB!!!

    Best,
    Linda in AZ *
    bellesmom1234@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fabulous. I much prefer your diy version to the "real" one. You need to feel good about it. I've just discovered and am now following your lovely blog.

    ReplyDelete
  14. your diy version is so much prettier :) Love the pink and I just want to say you're really super talented!

    ReplyDelete
  15. you have done a very nice job- however, the price for the original baskets is so high because these are made by women, in Senegal, to feed their families and earn $ for survival

    ReplyDelete
  16. Excellent information and facts. Only real difficulty I was basically receiving was viewing the pics. No idea exactly why.

    1. Interior Design Seattle

    2. Minimalist Interior Design

    3. best interior design schools

    ReplyDelete
  17. My partner loves to do her own DIY, and once she also found this rattan storage baskets, which need a hell lot of makeover. With creativity and a lot of patience, she was able to do a makeover for just a fraction of a cost of buying a new one.

    ReplyDelete

**THANK'S FOR THE LOVE**