Sunday, April 10, 2011

Studio Reveal!

I woke up this morning sore in places I didn't even know existed. I guess I have a muscle on the top of my foot that decided it was gonna introduce itself to me today.  It has started sending shooting pains through my legs all day in apparent attempt to get my attention. Well hello foot muscle.....piss off now please.

The project is done at least. It's finished, completed, and WAYAAYYAYAY different. 

Here is the BEFORE:




And the AFTER:










OK so regardless if you love it or hate it....you have to appreciate the time it all got done in. One WEEK is short!

Friday: phone call......." Hi Amber do my studio in one week".....OK sure.
Sat & Sun: Brainstorm and cry at the thought I may fail miserably.
Monday: Go shopping around the entire city of Los Angeles. I went to tons of thrift and vintage stores, as well as some hidden antique haunts I love in the sketchiest parts of town.
Tuesday: Back out shopping, this time in less life threatening stores.
Wednesday:Finally help arrives. Me and my amazing design assistant extraordinaire Amanda were on the ultimate mission to get it all bought and ready for delivery on Friday. Today we demoed in the studio and ripped down the monstrous ugly storage cabinet. Here I had the help of my contractor who also happens to be my talented brother. Then Amanda and I were back out shopping to get all the finishing touches. There was a lot of shit left to do and we somehow pulled it right out of our asses and made it happen. 
Thursday: Another full day of crazy. Rocky my painter, painted all the walls and trim......{So on a side note, we painted the gallery wall a Terra Cotta color from Benjamin Moore...and no joke it dried to look like a salmon milkshake, so Amanda and I stayed and painted the whole wall over again. It was the suckiest part of the whole process but we made it work and all is well that ends well}. 
Friday: Furniture deliveries are coming today and we were supposed to be out of the studio so the band could come in and start working......This did not happen cause at 11:30pm we still were not finished. 
Saturday: Stain dining table, put in new desk, scramble for accessories, do shelves, organize bathroom, kitchenette, and back patio. 4:30 PM DONE

We were literally working almost every night till 10...Friday we stayed till 11:30. I saw G like 15 minutes the whole week which made me a super extra crazy lunatic. I Love Amanda and my subs for all there help. They make me look good and I could not have done this without them. 
The client emailed and Loves it.. I am so happy. This was one of the most stressful but really really fun projects I have ever had. I met some amazing new people and felt like I was just so in my element. The client gave me free reign to do my thing with only a few stipulations. I had to keep the blue couch, which I was not crazy about but it ended up working out just fine. Also West Elm delivered the wrong colored chair....it was supposed to be white. I was, and am, pissed but I made it work, even though I would have been way happier with my white chair...oh well.  Everything else was a matter of finding the right vintage pieces and stuff that was in stock in stores. 

Please email me if you have any questions or want to hire my interior designering butt!

Photobucket

40 comments:

  1. Wow - all the layers, the perfect colors, the coziness, so warm, all IN A WEEK?! I love this room.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it is incredible. I don't even know where to start!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks pretty awesome--cozy, fun, funky...looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So awesome Amber. Great work. If I had attempted this I for sure would have had a nervous breakdown on, like, day 3. Hope you had time to drink mega doses of wine and relax when you were finished!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks awesome, congrats! you must be exhausted.

    I just tried to use that Ellery chair from West Elm in a project, but they say it's no longer available. Oh, well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. angie@bonita-interiorsApril 10, 2011 at 11:21 AM

    Okay I just came across your blog and by looking at this makeover I gotta say you are my type of girl. I absolutely love it. The textiles and the organic feel of it all is really beautiful. Job well done!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So what's your crack of choice because I can't even paint a simple table in that amont of time. Bravo Mrs. Thang you is did it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have serious skills. Enough said.

    ReplyDelete
  9. BADASS! I'm starting to girl crush you and your fabulousness.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks bomb girl! I really think things sometimes come out unbelievably good when you have short deadlines because there is no time to procrastinate and your creative juices get super squeezed.
    Sending you a ginormous high five. Now take a nap and hug G.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Abmi just have to say this is impressive! You really gave it the feel of warmth and hipster rocker meets bell bottoms and platforms shoes....I have no idea what that means but I'm sure you'll get it. Xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Every post you do leaves me wanting more - I mean that in a good way, you always deliver the goods! I looove what you've done to the place! The room looks like what some groovy boho rocker would have eclectically put together over time with things they brought back from their rocking world travels, and that with their good taste just naturally look great together. And instead, you did this in a week...

    ReplyDelete
  13. FABULOSITY!! I seriously adore you and your kick ass self- high fives lady- this is a total beauty buffet!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amazing!! And I actually love the blue couch in the room. But then again I love almost everything in the room...

    ReplyDelete
  15. It looks amazing, both lived in and welcoming! Where is the sofa from and please don't say vintage. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What?! That's insane! I loved how lived in it looks. And you did it in a week?? No way! You're seriously awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  17. OMG I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE!!! Way beyond what I had imagined. You, lady, are a genious. And an efficient one at that!

    ReplyDelete
  18. OMG your week went almost exactly like mine....except for the part that you finished and I didn't. But isn't it fun to shop all of thrift stores in L.A.? and I totally know what you mean about the shady, life threatening places as well LOL. My shopping at thrift/antique stores will continue this week as I am looking for those perfect pieces to complete the room. Nice job...yours looks perfect. Oh, and I couldn't help but laugh at your newly discovered foot muscle. Hope it gets better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh sugar..you are really a design star. I can not believe you did all of that in a week.

    ReplyDelete
  20. 1 week - job done, is so incredible. kudos for the work n superb design!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thats amazing...love the draperies, and the pendant lighting is such a fun punch of color!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. When I saw the after, I had to do a double take! How can that be the same room? The photo looked straight out of a magazine! Well done!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Looks great Amber! Job well done for sure. Is that the stencil you used in your house on that fabric? Looks so good I will have to order one! Sometimes I like to just knock out big projects like this instead of dragging it out.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Um...IT IS ABSOLUTELY AMAZING! I love how light and airy it is, the colors around the space and furniture choices are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  25. It looks amazing!!! Your hard work (and talents and great taste!!) really shine through! I love the gallery wall, cool vintage pieces, that amazeballs tree...all of it! Are you going to give us deets on some of the stuff? Or at least tell me what kind of plant that is!!??!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Such an awesome space, Amber!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Absolutely stunning! I love the day by day breakdown too! I think you made it look chic, hip and comfortable. Fabulous work!

    ReplyDelete
  28. NO! WAY! That could be on a TV show.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Any chance you can give sources? I'm really liking that rug, and the hanging lights...thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  30. It looks great!! I love the colours and fabrics that you chose!! You did a fab job Amber! Hope you're relaxing a bit this week haha

    ReplyDelete
  31. This is so freaking fab. Source for the curtains, pretty please?!I was thinking you stenciled them, but looking closely the decal seems to be just a bit different...?

    ReplyDelete
  32. Well it was worth all the work.Looks amazing and you really pulled it off.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Where is THAT RUG from?!?!?

    ReplyDelete
  34. wow! and i'd also love to know where you found that gorgeous rug! if vintage, can you recommend any sources for something similar? thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Where is that desk from? It's awesome!

    ReplyDelete

**THANK'S FOR THE LOVE**